CLARC 2016 Call for papers
Perspectives on Language Planning and Policies
University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
3rd, 4th and 5th June 2016
The Center for Language Research (CLAR) at the University of Rijeka, Croatia, in cooperation with the Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics (ICLL), Croatia, invites you to participate in an international conference on Perspectives on Language Planning and Policies.
We invite proposals for papers on any topic related to the domain of language planning and policies, either from the perspective of linguistics or from the perspective of other disciplines in the field of humanities and social sciences. Papers may focus on any language, social context or historical period and, if accepted, will be a part of the general section of the conference.
A special session, Croatian Language Planning in the Last Quarter Century, is organized in cooperation with the ICLL. Abstract proposals for this session should focus on the issues of language planning and policies related to the Croatian language from 1990 onwards.
Topics for either the general session or the special session may include, but are not limited to:
- Corpus planning (standardization and normatization of language)
- Role of institutions in the development of standard language and in the promotion and preservation of language culture
- Implementation of language policies
- Language Technologies and Standardization
- Standard and non-standard varieties
- Attitudes towards the varieties of one’s mother tongue
- Elements of language policies
- Language as an instrument of political (social) control
- Language ideology
- Language policies and political discourse
- The role of the media in the shaping and implementation of language policies
- Using language to manipulate others: political rhetoric
- Normative language manuals: dictionaries (monolingual, multilingual, general, specialized, etc.), grammar manuals, manuals on orthography
- Standardization and re-standardization in orthography, orthoepy, grammar and lexicon
- Linguistic purism
- Prestige in language
- The development of language culture – the issue of language legislation
- Linguistic, communicative and pragmatic competence
- Spoken and written language (in relation to the norm)
- Recent dialectological theories and research of dialects within the framework of language planning and policies
- The status and corpus of urban dialects
- Minority languages in the context of language planning and policies
- Language rights (e.g., education and languages of minority groups, media and languages of minority groups, etc.)
- Language and identity
- Challenges posed by global communication – linguistic imperialism
- The future of linguistic diversity – small and big languages
- Mihaela Matešić, Chair
- Ermina Ramadanović, Co-Chair
- Zvjezdana Vrzić, Co-Chair
- Mirjana Crnić Novosel, Secretary
- Perina Vukša Nahod, Secretary
- Diana Stolac
- Željko Jozić
- Aneta Stojić
- Branka Drljača Margić
- Gianna Mazzieri Sanković
- Cecilija Jurčić Katunar
- Benedikt Perak
- Iris Vidmar
- Mirela Fuš
Croatian and English
Submission of abstracts
We invite submissions of anonymous abstracts for 20-minute talks, followed by 10-minute discussions. Abstracts should be in .pdf, .doc or .docx format and should not exceed 500 words, not including the title and three key words. Anonymous abstracts should be submitted in either Croatian and English (authors presenting in Croatian) or English (authors presenting in English). Please upload your abstracts at
The deadline for abstract submission is 25th February 2016.
Submissions are limited to one individual and one joint abstract per author.
Notifications of acceptance/rejection will be given by 15th March 2016.
Registration fees cover the cost of printing the book of abstracts, conference materials and refreshments during the breaks.
Payment from abroad: 60 EUR (early registration), 75 EUR (late registration)
Payment from Croatia: 450kn (early registration), 570kn (late registration)
Early registration: by 25th March 2016
Late registration: 26th March – 25th May 2016
The presenters will receive the information on how to pay the registration fees along with the notification of acceptance. The information on how to pay the registration fees will also be available at the conference website from 25th February 2016.
Non-presenters are expected to register and pay the registration fee (30 EUR) via bank transfer by 1 June 2016. Please send us the confirmation of your payment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bank transfer information
Filozofski fakultet, Sveučilišna avenija 4, 51000 Rijeka
– IBAN: HR9123600001101536455 (Zagrebačka banka d. d., Zagreb, Paromlinska 2)
– SWIFT/BIC: ZABAHR2X
– Reference number: 6615111-18.
Papers presented at the conference and submitted by 1st September 2016 will be published in Rasprave: Časopis Instituta za hrvatski jezik i jezikoslovlje (42/2, 2016) and will undergo the standard review procedure.
Abstract submission deadline: 25th February 2016
Notification of acceptance: by 15th March 2016
- Early registration: by 25th March 2016
- Late registration: 26th March–25th May 2016
Conference dates: 3rd, 4th and 5th June 2016
Manuscript submission deadline: 1st September 2016
On the behalf of the organizing committee:
dr. sc. Mihaela Matešić, Chair
dr. sc. Mirjana Crnić Novosel, Secretary