The Center for Language Research (CLAR) is a multidisciplinary center dedicated to the study of language from the perspective of different humanities and social sciences. The center was founded in March 2015 with the aim of fostering cooperation between researchers working at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Rijeka and sharing interest in the phenomenon of language and in multidisciplinary research. Their cooperation and work on joint projects aims to advance the study of language at the University of Rijeka and in Croatia.
Throughout the academic year 2015/2016, CLAR will organize regular lectures by members and guests as well as meetings of working groups focusing on specific language topics. In June 2016, the Center will organize the second international conference.
The main objectives of the Center for Language Research are:
- Development of national cooperation with university departments and centers involved in the study of language
- Advancement of language research at the University of Rijeka and in Croatia in collaboration with international academic institutions
- Organization of international scientific meetings and guest lectures
- Preparation of summer workshops and programs for continued education of researchers
- Exchange of researchers
While supporting multidisciplinary research approaches to language as well as the study of diverse languages, the Center also supports:
- Promotion of language diversity in Croatia and the study of Croatian dialects, minority, endangered and less studied languages spoken in Croatia, and multilingualism
- Development of quantitative approaches to the study of language in Croatia through the use of the methods of corpus linguistics and creation of linguistic corpora
- Application of methods of language documentation and archiving and linguistic description and typology within language research in Croatia
- Implementation of interdisciplinary approaches to the study of the formation of cultural patterns in intersubjective communication
Director: Benedikt Perak
Deputy Director: Mihaela Matešić